Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Clay Tag Tutorial

Good morning all you wonderful people!



I received so many lovely comments and questions about my clay tags that I though I would share a quick "How To" on them


I used DAS air dry modelling clay,

I bought mine online.


The clay has a similar consistency to cookie dough and being air dry means that it is forgiving and easy to work with for an amateur like me



I used small amounts at a time and rolled it out just like cookie dough to the desired thickness


To cut out my shapes I used a few different things as I was trying to find the right size.


Cookie cutters worked well and I used those for the stars, small hearts and the circles in the end, but I did try using a glass and a knife to cut around the edge as well as a scrapbooking heart template with a knife for the larger hearts.

It is really quite easy to work with so it is your preference.


I just used a pen to make the holes, but a skewer would be easier.

Then let the clay shapes/tags dry at least 24 hours, depending on the weather.

You can see the clay drying so it is easy to tell when they're dry.


I tried a few different things when it came to the writing. I used a stamp with ink in the photo above.

For some I used a sharp implement (a screwdriver I think, whatever was to hand) and indented the clay.

You need to do this prior to letting the clay dry.

I experimented with different textures and rolled the clay over a table runner I had in the kitchen to see how that would look when it dried.

On these ones I used raised felt stick on lettering.

The letters have stayed on well and it doesn't look like they will come off in a hurry.

For the name tags I have written on the clay with a scrap booking marker.

This works ok, except the clay seems to ruin the marker quickly and I need to keep wiping the nib of the marker to keep it working.

I am trying to find a pen or marker that works better as I have a lot of these to finish.

For some I used rub-ons. I picked up a packet from the cheap shop for $2 and these turned out to be my favourites.

Probably because I have such terrible writing and they just look so neat and tidy.



There you have it, nice and easy. I used a 1kg packet of the clay and got quite a few tags made from it.

If you have any other questions just ask me and I will do my best to answer them for you.

Hope you are all having a great week.

xx

P.S We got the all clear from the doctor last week and I am officially healed! Thank you for all of your prayers and support over the last few months it has been really wonderful.

20 comments:

  1. I've never seen that clay before. You make it look so simple. Thanks so much for sharing the tips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nellie, your clay tags look fantastic! Thanks for the tutorial - think I will by some das today as it looks like a great school holiday project for the kids. Think I'll get them to help me with place tags for the Christmas table. Hope you are having a great week. Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay Yay Yay!!!! I just read your little p.s. at the end and I got a little tear in my eyes, I'm so glad Nellie!!!! All those prayers have worked a treat!
    And thank you for the tutorial, I bought air dry clay on the weekend mine is a Fimo brand and made some tags too, it's so much fun isn't it! I really like your rub on letters, I tried stamping and I pressed a piece of jewelry into mine, I'll have to post when they've dried (this humid weather is making it take longer I think).
    Your tags look fantastic and I like all your effects. Anyway, big virtual hugs to you my dear you've made my morning with your good news!
    Jxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this Nellie. I bought some DAS clay on the weekend and was hoping to try some tags tomorrow...now it won't be so hit and miss!! Perfect timing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been wanting to have a go at making some tags for Christmas pressies so your tutorial is just perfect timing Nellie!! Fantastic news on getting the all-clear from your Dr. A wonderful early Christmas pressie for you. Take care my dear friend!

    Hugs,
    Christine xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are great Nellie! If I was organised I'd make some decorations for the tree out of this clay. But, as usual, I'm so not as organised as you!
    ps great to hear you have the all clear!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Nellie, thanks for the tutorial I will have to try those rub on letters they look great. I love the way you have used the string too. Glad to hear you have the all clear on the health front and now you can truly relax and enjoy Christmas. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. hey nellie that makes me so happy that you guys have got the all clear......and thanks for sharing about your clay tags, you clever thing, have a wonderful tuesday lisa xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your clay tags and the tutorial. But, even better I am so happy you got the all clear. Now make sure you hang that lovely "believe" tag somewhere very prominent.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job Nellie, these are beautiful! What excellent Christmas therapy this will be for MOTH the Christmas Grinch - I'll get him straight onto it!
    Millie ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  11. firstly yah!!! so happy all is well with you my dear:) and secondly i just Love your creations they look beautiful well done Nellie and thanks for the lessons xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful news that you've been given the all clear - so glad all those prayers helped. Love your tags so thanks for the tutorial - I'd like to give these a go myself some time. Big hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Nellie ~ Praise God that he answered your prayers on your health issue! It is truly a blessing for you! :)

    Thank you for this wonderful tutorial! I've never heard of DAS clay, either, but will certainly look for it at the craft store. I can hardly wait to start "tagging" away this week ~ and now I can do with some confidence with your tutorial behind me!

    Merry Christmas to you! :)

    xoxo laurie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Nellie for the great tutorial. I will be looking at making some of these for gifts through the year - this year I have run out of time. I love your tags, good on you for taking the initiative and having a go. Great news, so happy for you. Enjoy your week.
    Rebecca x

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great idea! These would make excellent gifts... thanks for sharing! Very talented!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh what a relief for you and your family! That is the best news! So glad you let us know Nellie. A toast to good health and happiness.
    X Briohny.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Nellie

    I'm your latest happy follower via sweet Kerry's post on clay tags today. What rock have I been hiding under?! So many of my bloggy friends have commented above - I'm pleased to join the party over here ☺.

    Thanks so much for this fabulous tutorial. Armed with this and Kerry's, Mr PB and I will be very busy 'crafting' with the pixies this weekend. I really appreciate the effort you've put into this - it's easy to follow. Take a bow!

    Oh, and fab news from your doctor - now I'll have to find out more. So pleased to have found you, Nellie. J x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Nellie!!! how are you,d ear? Your tutorial will be saved as one of my fave! I want to try it!!!
    Hugs!
    Mara

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your tags & you have made it look sooo simple, Thank You!
    Congratulations on you wonderful health news, it made my day to know you are recovered !!
    Cheers Nellie

    ReplyDelete